Rip Off Britain in Gateshead
Last weekend I headed up to the Metro Centre in Gateshead to film some consumer technology items for BBC One’s Rip Off Britain.
During the shoot at the Rip Off Britain ‘Pop Up Shop’ I worked on some incredibly disturbing ‘rip-off’ case studies where big-name service providers are being incredibly unfair, inflexible or insensitive to their hard-fought customers.
All of this made me reflect on how complicated buying almost any service in the UK has become, particularly many of the consumer technology products and services that we now take for granted.
Here are my thoughts on how we’ve wandered into this consumer minefield, what part the internet has had to play in our being there, and why shows like Rip Off Britain are so important in helping us to navigate through it.
Series 4 of Rip Off Britain broadcasts in September 2012 on BBC One. It airs daily during the daytime and weekly in the evening – watch this space for more details.
- BBC Newsround: UK Contact Tracing App
- BBC The One Show: Avoid the Broadband Blues
- BBC Newsround: How to Stay Safe in Video Chats
- BBC Money Box Live: Video Game Loot Boxes and Addiction
- Deliveroo Scams on The One Show
- Attack of the Facebook Clones: BBC Rip Off Britain
- The Photography Show TV 2019
- Robotics, AI and Blockchain: 4 Years from Now at MWC Barcelona
- Fake News: Bitcoin Scams and Cryptocurrency Get-Rich-Quick Schemes
- Live-streaming from Photokina 2018 with Canon