Investigating ‘Microsoft Tech Support Scams’ for BBC Watchdog
“Hello, this is Mark, I’m calling from the Windows Technical Department. We have identified a problem with your computer…”
Have you ever received a phone call that begins like this? I have, too many times to count. The so-called ‘Microsoft Tech Support Scam’ is almost as old as the internet itself but, like a nasty virus, it refuses to go away. I’ve just filmed an investigation for the new series of BBC Watchdog to highlight the how the scam works and catch the fraudsters red-handed.
Despite being plagued by these calls, I am fortunate; I know that they are almost certainly from scammers intent on stealing my money, personal details or identity. However, thousands of people do fall victim to this fraud every year with many hundreds of thousands of pounds reported stolen in the UK alone.
According to the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau (NFIB) the average victim of ‘Computer Software Service Fraud’ will be 59 years old and £210 worse off as a result of the crime, although some report losses of up to £6,000. As with many nuisance calls these criminals work on volume, and for every one hundred calls they make, if only one is successful then it will have been worthwhile.
In the past legal action against the perpetrators has proved difficult (although there have been some successes) but by showing Watchdog viewers what to look out for we hoped to raise awareness and reduce the number of victims.
We decided the best way to do this was to capture the scam in action for the cameras — a first for UK television, we think, and no mean feat given how difficult it is to track down the fraudsters. What happened next was quite intense…
You can watch the full report here.
Watchdog Scams the Tech Support Scammers broadcasts on BBC1 at 7.30pm on Thursday 29th October 2015.
- Hosting TV Industry Awards in Cannes
- Fake News: Bitcoin Scams and Cryptocurrency Get-Rich-Quick Schemes
- Fakebook: How to Spot Fake Facebook Adverts – BBC Rip Off Britain: Live
- Wi-Fi Router Workout with Channel 4 Supershoppers
- BBC Rip Off Britain Season 10
- BBC Watchdog: Nectar Card Fraud
- MWC 2018 with Mobile World Live TV
- AI and the Rise of the Machines: Children’s Global Media Summit
- BBC Rip Off Britain: Keyless Car Crime
- BBC X-Ray Summer Special – Photography Tips