Virtual Reality Challenge
On Challenge TV’s Videogame Nation recently I chatted with presenter Dan Maher about the challenges faced by studios when developing games for Virtual Reality platforms.
Videogame Nation is that rare thing on mainstream television: a show about video games.
Hosted by Inside Xbox co-host Dan Maher, Aoife Wilson and John Robertson, produced by Ginx TV and airing in the UK on Challenge TV, VGN celebrates games and gaming culture with a maturity and intellect that appeals to gamers and non-gamers alike.
In this week’s episode I speak with Dan about a pet subject of mine: virtual reality. We discuss the specific challenges that studios face when developing for VR platforms, and the role that mobile can play in VR’s future.
Here’s a clip from the show where Dan and I talk about the challenges, how mobile will be an invaluable on-ramp for VR, and get hands on with Kickstarter project prototype, Goblin VR.
Hardware is one of the challenges faced by developers – platform fragmentation is already real – and so is grammar: a successful VR experience is not simply a case of lifting traditional a game and dumping it into a pair of virtual reality goggles. The fact is that developers don’t know what works yet; it’s frontier-land all over again which makes VR development a very exciting – if very risky – arena for studios to be working in.
*** UPDATE: Since I wrote this story in early 2016 VGN has, after four series and much critical acclaim, used up all of its credits – much to the disillusionment of gamers all over the internet. Fear not: without too much searching you can still find pretty much every episode of Videogame Nation on YouTube.
- Robotics, AI and Blockchain: 4 Years from Now at MWC Barcelona
- Hosting TV Industry Awards in Cannes
- Wi-Fi Router Workout with Channel 4 Supershoppers
- BBC Rip Off Britain Season 10
- MWC 2018 with Mobile World Live TV
- Super Cuts: iPhone X and Galaxy Note 8 Launch Highlights
- Flashy Tech in Metro: Li-Fi
- BBC Rip Off Britain: Keyless Car Crime
- Where Emerging Technology and Business IT Intersect
- BBC X-Ray Summer Special – Photography Tips